Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Hit Me Up On My Facebook!





Facebook is an absolute Internet phenomenon that millions of people of all ages, especially the young, spend their free time with. Facebook is ubiquitous and infectious because it is such an amazing tool for communication.  In using Facebook people can express themselves, connect with family and friends, meet new people, enjoy entertainment, promote themselves, and even find new job opportunities.
I finally jumped on the bandwagon, and signed up to become a member of Facebook the summer of 2008 on my eighteenth birthday. I was memorized by the infinite features that it had.  The search feature allowed me to connect with old friends that I had not seen since elementary school, and friends that I see frequently by simply sending them a “friend request.” I remember when I first signed up I spent hours setting up my profile information, filling out my “interests,” choosing some “favorites,” and uploading pictures and videos for all my close friends and acquaintances to view.  The safety/ privacy settings allow you to choose who sees your profile. This gives me a feeling of security knowing that I have control over who sees my information. My security settings allow only my friends to view my profile.  It is also remarkable in the fact that it has features like instant messaging and sending personal messages, like that of an email, to someone or to many people all at once. I really appreciate those particular features because it’s a lot more personal and not out in the open for all to see. Personally, as a rather shy individual, instant messaging is a great way to get to know a person as a “follow up” icebreaker after meeting someone new.  In other words, asking if someone is on Facebook is equivalent to asking for his or her number! The personal message option is also a great way to send invitations, and make plans to hang out with friends. I usually always communicate to my friends via Facebook to confirm plans if I can’t see them in person or talk to them on the phone. It is an especially great tool for communicating with friends who don’t attend Shepherd University, or with friends who live too far away to inexpensively communicate with via telephone.
I love to write on my friends’ wall just to say hello, and keep in touch. I know it brightens my day when I receive a “hey, what’s up?” or if someone comments on my status update. Internet interactions like these make me feel like I am closer to my friends, even though they are miles away. It makes me feel happy and secure about the people I connect with.
If chatting, commenting, uploading pictures and videos, and posting isn’t enough entertainment in itself, there are always fun little quizzes and games that you can play for fun.  Although I do not partake in the games or quizzes on Facebook, connecting with my friends keep me entertained and content.  
Another great tool of Facebook is that it can serve as a virtual scrapbook.  I can look back at pictures and entries that I’ve made over the years and relive some wonderful memories with friends and family.
Facebook is a fantastic way to promote a product or business, as well. There are ads that are designed to fit your consumer personality and the Facebook user can also promote products by “liking” or “subscribing to them.  I have “liked” or subscribed to certain bands and products that I am interested in and they keep me informed of their new products and promotions. For example, I am subscribed to the Facebook pages of certain clothing stores, whenever they are having a sale, I get the news right away because it’s on my wall feed, or I know when my favorite band is going on tour.  How great is that?
Searching for jobs is an extremely bright option that is included in the many folds of Facebook. I haven’t really explored this realm of Facebook, but I am sure I will in the near future.  
Facebook is an extraordinary tool that can facilitate communication in many realms of a person’s life.  It can serve as a tool to keep in touch with friends, to preserve memories, to meet new people, to entertain, to promote one’s self or products, and can aid in a job search.  I can’t imagine life without Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment