Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The VALS Survey


       The VALS survey is used to determine your personality type as a consumer. It includes forty statements such as, “I like a lot of variety in my life,” or “I follow the latest trends in fashion.”  It then gives the survey taker the answer choices of “mostly disagree”, “somewhat disagree”, “somewhat agree” or “mostly agree.  After completing this survey, the survey taker is shown eight different areas of behaviors that reveal their consumer type.  The final results show the two main personality characteristics that supposedly suit the survey taker. These categories of personality are: innovators, thinkers, believers, achievers, strivers, experiencers, makers, and survivors. The results for my personality as a consumer revealed that I am a striver and an experiencer.
            The test results explain that strivers are fashionable and carefree. Strivers are inspired by successes, and worry about the thoughts and approval of others. Although money delineates achievement for strivers, they don’t have sufficient funds to obtain their wants. They prefer trendy products that imitate the buyers of individuals with large material assets. Many strivers look for a job rather than a career because they lack skills to move forward. Strivers are lively consumers because shopping is a social experience and shows others that they are able to purchase. As consumers, they are willing to spend as much as their financial status will permit. The other personality type I was given that goes along with being a striver was an experiencer. Experiencers are young and active in their social lives. They look for excitement and entertainment when purchasing products. They are attracted to new and exciting things!  They become excited about a product but are disinterested in it after a short period of time. The items that they purchase show that they deem having new and current items as something very important to them.
            I would agree at this point in my life that I am a striver and an experiencer to a certain degree. I am a young college student with not a lot of income. When I do have money, I tend to purchase items such as clothing, jewelry, movies, music, and concert tickets. I also enjoy spending money on meals out with my friends.  I, however, do not tend to grow tired of a product quickly after purchasing it. I am the type of person who takes great care of the items I buy and am inclined to keep them for a long period of time. I do like variety and tend to shop for unique items. I very much disagree that I am worried about the opinions and approval of others in making choices about my purchases.  I usually buy what I like, or what I think is a good value for me regardless, of the opinions of others.  Money is not the definition of success to me, as the survey indicated. I could care less about what other people think of me, and happiness defines how successful you are not income or possessions. 
            Although there are some truths to my results in the VALS survey, I think my current position as a college student with a low income and a low amount of financial responsibility helped to shape those results.  Once I am out in the real world, with my own career, my own income, and my own bills, I know my priorities are destined to change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment