Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Topic for Game Design Essay Blog



         The Use and Effectiveness of Game-Based Learning  
                                         
            In elementary school, and beyond, math was my least favorite subject. It was dull, unrewarding, and certainly didn’t hold my interest in the same way that literature or history did.  I remember in the middle of my third grade year being told by my teacher that I had to memorize my multiplication tables. I also remember doing everything I could to avoid the tedious activities of being drilled by flashcards or writing my times tables over and over. My math grades suffered as I struggled to commit each problem to memory until one day I arrived home to find a shiny new software box by the family computer.  Though I’m not certain of the exact name of the game, I do remember that effectively solving sets of multiplication problems earned me the reward of playing a shooting game. After few minutes of playing, I was hooked, and in a couple of weeks I knew my multiplication tables inside and out. What elements of this simple game made things click for me?  Why was a computer program able hold my interest and essentially teach me the basics of multiplication when other methods were less effective? Why did game-based learning work for me?  My blogging research topic for this semester of Game Design 344 will be “The Uses and Effectiveness of Game-Based Learning.” In my research I plan to explore the three main realms where game-based learning is utilized, to provide examples, and to discuss the effectiveness of this learning in each realm. 
            Game-based learning is essentially a way of conveying information and working towards a goal through the use of a virtual model (Trybus). This model could be as elaborate as a high-tech computer program, or as simple as a board game. Why did game-based learning work for me in my example? Jessica Trybus, the Director of Edutainment for Carnegie Mellon University's Entertainment Technology Center, says that “when education or training feels dull, we are not being engaged and motivated. In other words, we’re not really learning.”  My teacher’s method of writing tables over and over and using flash cards was certainly dull to me and my grades reflected that I certainly wasn’t learning.  Trybus also states that “in an effective game-based learning environment, we work toward a goal, choosing actions and experiencing the consequences of those actions along the way. We make mistakes in a risk-free setting, and through experimentation, we actively learn and practice the right way to do things. This keeps us highly engaged in practicing behaviors and thought processes that we can easily transfer from the simulated environment to real life”(Trybus).  Although it was far more basic than some software, my simple computer multiplication game had me working toward the primary goal of understanding and learning my multiplication tables, as well as the secondary goal of solving problems to reach the shooting game reward at the end of each level. As I played, I felt totally safe and unembarrassed if I answered a question incorrectly. In fact, making a mistake caused me to better remember the correct answer the next time the same problem was given.  In the end, I was easily able to transfer the knowledge that I obtained while playing on the computer into the classroom.
            The classroom/school setting isn’t the only venue where game-based learning is effectively utilized.  Game-based learning is also frequently used as an effective form of transferring knowledge in the military in terms of tactical, strategic, and global levels of warfare (Project on Defense Alternatives). Its other main use is in many industrial settings. For example, in the healthcare industry computer programs allow doctors to perform virtual surgeries in a safe setting. In the aviation industry, pilots can use flight simulators to practice difficult landings without the fear of putting real lives in danger.  No matter what the setting is where game-based learning is utilized all have similarities in terms of creating virtual worlds, fostering collaboration, providing goals and motivation, providing a safe place to practice and make mistakes and allowing knowledge to transfer from virtual to actual settings (Conetta & Knight). 

      Sources

Conetta, Carl and Knight, Charles.  “Project on Defense Alternatives, Briefing Report #4.” August 1993. Web.
Lymbery, Judy. “The potential of a game based learning approach to improve learner outcomes.”School of Educational Psychology and Pedagogy. Victoria University of Wellington, 2010. Web
Trybus, Jessica.  “Game-Based Learning: What it is, Why it Works, and Where it's Going.” The New Media Institute. Carnegie Mellon University. 2009. Web




No comments:

Post a Comment